WordPress is my favorite website building software. It gets better all the time.
Apache2, MySQL, PHP, GD configured. More to come…
- Install template. I have a handy text document which details the install of WordPress on my ArchLinux web server.
At some point, I will integrate a torrent server with this site and post my ArchLinux VirtualBox server and documentation, but I’m currently on another project.
Developing with WordPress
When developing, go to wp-config
Matt Adams: Creating Themes And Customizing Admin
Some handy development tools and resources.
- GenerateWP: The easiest and the fastest way to create custom and high quality code for your WordPress project using the latest WordPress coding standards and API’s.
- Underscores is A Starter Theme for WordPress. Create your Underscores based theme using their website.
- Brunelleschi | css documentation: I really like this theme. peterloon.org uses a child theme I created to remove the page titles and changes the colors a bit.
- Portfolio Press | wptheming.com
- The Hybrid theme is supposed to be very versatile for using Custom Post Types. clients.farrierservices.net is under development to create a complex site using a child theme to later be turned into a plugin for the farrier industry.
- Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) Plugin in WP Repo and advancedcustomfields.com: Powerful fields for WordPress developers.
- wp-cleanup: gets rid of all the cruft that builds up in your database.
- Captcha: Answer a simple math problem at login to eliminate spam. I like this kind of captcha better than the kind with weird pictures that are difficult to see.
Custom post types
A good video of Jeffrey Way at WordPress Meetup in NYC on Oct 18 2011.
Start a child theme, read naming best practices, and go through these steps:
- Register post type
- Register taxonomy
- Add meta boxes to Edit Post
- Create new Archive Page Template
- Create new Single Post Template
- Justin Tadlock’s Custom post types article
- StudioNashVegas’ overview
- StudioNashVegas’ /w taxonomies
- SixRevisions guide
- Taxonomies explained well by Six Revisions.